Tuesday 20 July 2010

Don't tell everyone, they'll all want one

Today I experienced a delicacy rarely found outside of India. Plain rice and yellow lentil dal infused with the delicate aromas of coriander and cigarette butt.

It’s like the Indian version of “Who can find the penny in the Christmas pudding?” except it’s “Who can find the cigarette butt carefully placed by the cook into the pot of dal?”

And guess who won?

Yes, indeed it was I. Who else?

I was most overjoyed when on my eighth mouthful of the tasty dal and rice I discovered a black and rotting cigarette butt in my mouth, filling it with the succulent tang of tobacco and ash. Never have I tasted a plate of food so good! And so rare!

They should market it abroad and everything! Like kobi beef! And I hear the lucky butt recipient gets good luck and a lung cancer-free life.

Of course, the manager asked me to keep it quiet for fear of everybody wanting one.

Actually what he really said was: “Because sometimes the cook is smoking while he cooks, you know?”

Ah, well that explains it then.

And to top it all off, the impossible has happened. Merely one day after enthusiastically telling Aaron that, “It rains less than in the Sahara desert in Leh during summer, you know.”

It is now raining. Raining in a mountain desert during summer. Whoever heard such a thing. I wring my hands of this rain thing.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm thats a bit like when you and Lizzie Devismes planted 5p in my McDonalds hamburger. Remember???

    ReplyDelete